Wednesday 22 February 2012

Junky Styling Exhibition – London Fashion Week February 2012


Words cannot express how much I love this brand! The first time I had heard about them was about 2years ago, I think. Most people will remember them from appearing on The Apprentice when they had the clothing boutique challenge.

These girls were the inspiration for my own Maison de Moodie designs as the environment is something that I am highly concerned about they have found a way of creating clothing that is sustainable yet distinctive. they founded Junky Styling in 1997 as they wanted to look unique buy couldn't afford it as they were students so decided to create clothing. I completely believe with their ethos of the brand – Timeless, Deconstruct, Re-Cut. Whole DIY feeling to play with old clothing that you wouldn’t normally wear. Look at clothes from a different prospective.

Everything is recycled creating innovated designs which are unique and wearable for a capsule wardrobe as the fabrics they use are mainly suited fabrics (men’s suit jackets for example) giving a fantastic finish to the final product both physical and aesthetic.

I was completely star struck when waking into the East Wing of Somerset House to see the brand directly in front of me with the two owners - Annika Sanders and Kerry Seager. Luckily that day I was wearing my own trousers that I had made about a month before from old pinstripe work trouser and cheap primark jogging bottoms (blog post up soon). I went right up to the collection and was asked if I knew the brand I replied with “of course you were the people that inspired me to create my own clothing and you are one of my inspirations”.  They were completely lovely we hit it off laughing and talking showing them my trousers which they loved. I got a peek at the latest menswear collection, which is being shown today Wednesday 22nd, that they invited me to. Sadly I had to come home for uni. However in September I WILL be there for the whole week.

The main thing that I was drawn to was the tartan quilting that they are using as well its one of my favorite prints being Scottish. Their main inspiration this season was doing back to the paneling using different fabrics and combing them allowing for a quirky detailing of patterns and prints. One thing that I did ask them was how they come up with ideas when designing – “we don’t it is just what happens during the process” LOVE IT!




Beautiful Fitted Short Jacket in Red Tartan with Turned in lapel and fringed quilting at the back from a blanket




Beautiful Black and Tartan Panel Coat Fitted at Top Then A-Line at Bottom. Contemporary Edwardian Feel about it




Classic Junky Styling Dress Made from Trousers
 









Empire Line Fit Flattering for Every Body Shape. See the different Panels To Create The Dress – Black, Pinstripe and Check  






Me, Annika and Kerry

Cannot wait for September to hopefully see them. Thank you for taking the time to chat to me.


The book Junky Styling is available for only £20 complete bargain you get so much out of it and is available here it has history of the brand and shows you how to make some of their classic designs – BUY IT!



Junky Styling Website - http://www.junkystyling.co.uk/ 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.